on February 24, 2016
We’ve dug up all the information we could about The Hartford auto insurance so you’ll know everything about it before you decide whether or not to buy coverage from them. We are not affiliated with The Hartford, the 11th most popular car insurance company in the country, so you can trust that this review is based solely on what the facts tell us.
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons of The Hartford Auto Insurance
- If The Hartford Offers Coverage Near You
- The Hartford’s Annual Costs
- How The Hartford Ranks In The Industry
- What Customers Think About The Hartford
- Our Favorite The Hartford Features
- Our Recommendation For You
- A no-drop promise guarantees you’ll keep your coverage regardless of accidents and infractions (unless you get a DUI).
- Rate Lock. You can get up to a 12-month rate lock for your policy—so your premium won’t spike out of the blue.
- One Deductible For Multi-Car Policies. If you have multiple cars on your policy and more than one gets in an accident during the same policy agreement, you’ll only pay one deductible.
- TrueLane is a device that gives drivers six months to prove they are safe on the road/ If you are, you can save up to 25% on your premium. A lot of other companies make you keep these kind of monitoring devices indefinitely, so it’s nice that The Hartford only requires six months of surveyed driving until you can remove and return it to them.
It doesn’t provide auto coverage in all states.
Where The Hartford Insures
The Hartford insures in 47 U.S. states plus Washington D.C., but not in Alaska, Hawaii, or Massachusetts. Knowing how popular it is in your state, how the costs compare to others, and its customer satisfaction, can help you determine if its a good fit for you.
It also provides home insurance for those 50 and older through its partnership with AARP.
States Where The Hartford Insurance Is Most Popular
The amount of customers a company has compared to its competitors is called their “market share.” The Hartford (including AARP) has the highest market share in Vermont, where it insures 4.37% of all drivers. When it comes to sheer volume of policies, it sells the most policies in Florida, New York, and Washington. Here are the states where The Hartford ranks in the top 10:
|Rank||New Policies Written||Market Share Percent|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
The Annual Costs
We analyzed rates from The Hartford and similar companies to help show how much you may pay based on your driver profile. According to our research, The Hartford is the cheapest company for drivers age 18, when comparing it to rates from Amica Mutual, Farmers, Nationwide, and Travelers. It also is the second most affordable for drivers age 25 and 35 when comparing rates from the same companies.
|18-Year Olds||25-Year Olds||35-Year Olds||60-Year Olds|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
These rates are from state Department of Insurance’s and should only be used as a reference for what you may pay. Your rates will vary based on a number of additional factors, unique to you.
The Hartford Auto Insurance Discounts
Here are ways you may be able to save on The Hartford auto insurance:
- Multi-Policy Discount: up to 5% off on auto insurance
- Anti-Theft: up to 15% off
- Air Bag: up to 3% off)
- Defensive Driver Education Discount: up to 5% off for three years
- Green Vehicle: up to 5% off
- Young Driver Training Discount: up to 10%
- Good Student Discount: up to 15% off
- TrueLane Discount: up to 10% off on each vehicle you enroll and up to 25% off based on safe driving
Insurance Industry Rankings
Judging a book by its cover doesn’t work, but basing our opinions on industry rankings sure does. Here are a couple top industry surveys below that show how The Hartford ranks amongst customers.
JD Power uses customer feedback to score companies based on a number of categories. They’re a trusted source in the industry and their vast data opens our eyes to the truths about companies. Here is how The Hartford Insurance (including AARP) ranked in its 2015 studies:
What Customers Think
“I enjoy The Hartford’s price, coverage and friendly help when I have questions.” – Glen W.
“I got in a small fender bender and the person I hit had to go the chiropractor and The Hartford tried so hard to get me to pay the bills.” – Cesare H.
Our Favorite Features
See what other benefits come with being a policyholder.
- Guaranteed Repairs. If you get work done on your car from a shop that’s in The Hartford’s network, your insurance will cover those repairs for the entire time you own your car.
- Insurance calculator tool provides convenient and simple coverage suggestions.
- They will waive your deductible if you aren’t at-fault.
- Get a $100 credit toward your deductible if you need repairs and go to a shop within the network.
- A partnership with AARP allows those 50 and older to get highly customized auto insurance.
What We Would Do If We Were You
We’re not you, so we can’t tell you what to do. The best advice we can give is to make the best decision for yourself. Based on our findings, this is the group that The Hartford serves best:
The Hartford auto insurance is older drivers.
Although The Hartford auto insurance offers coverage for all ages, its exclusive partnership with AARP is specifically tailored to drivers 50 and older. While a bit more expensive, its coverage options and benefits make up for it for the more mature and stable driver.
About The Hartford
The Hartford is a 200-year old company that has built its business on connecting empathetic and talented professionals with customers. With a focus on building strong relationships, The Hartford offers its customers dependable service they can count on when they need it most.
Still pondering which insurance company is right for you?
Take a look at other providers until you find the best fit for auto insurance coverage.