on January 30, 2016
Rounding out the top 10 largest auto insurance companies in the country, Travelers Insurance provides coverage to almost 3,519,200 drivers, or 1.66% of the licensed population. We’ve done even more research like this—from consumer reviews to average costs to coverage features and more—to give you the inside scoop about Travelers auto insurance. Because we are not affiliated with Travelers, you can trust this review is based on the facts alone.Compare Rates
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons of Travelers Auto Insurance
- If Travelers Offers Coverage Near You
- How Much Travelers Auto Insurance Costs
- Travelers Discounts
- How Travelers Ranks In The Industry
- What Customers Have to Say
- Our Favorite Travelers Features
- Our Recommendation For You
- The Responsible Driver PlanSM forgives one accident and one minor violation every three years to help keep safe drivers’ premiums down.
- The Premier Responsible Driver Plan includes the features of the Responsible Driver Plan, a decreasing deductible that gives you up to $500 off your deductible, and a total loss deductible waiver.
- Quick Quotes. The quote time averages about seven minutes online. Get a quote and get back to life quickly.
- Wide Variety of Discounts. Travelers offers discounts to safe drivers, good students, low mileage drivers, and more so that you can save on your policy.
- Claims Support. Travelers understands the importance of being available to customers 24/7. Customers can easily file a claim online, through its mobile app, in person, and over the phone.
- Limited Coverage. Travelers doesn’t insure in all states.
- Sub-Par Rental Car Coverage. Travelers scored below average with customers in a JD Power study that asked about the rental car experience. If you don’t use rental cars on a regular basis, this may not be a deal breaker for you.
Where Travelers Car Insurance is Sold
Even with its size and high quality coverage options, Travelers auto insurance is not available to all drivers. Luckily for drivers in every state except Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming– Travelers auto insurance is an option. See how Travelers measures up where you live, by comparing it to other providers in your state.
States Where Travelers Car Insurance Is Most Popular
In 2014, Travelers ranked in the top 10 companies for market share–the percentage of drivers it insures in a state–in 14 states and D.C.. Connecticut was its most popular state, with 6.22% of all drivers choosing Travelers coverage. But when looking at sheer volume of policies sold, New York, Florida, and Pennsylvania top the list.
|Rank||New Policies Written||Market Share|
Travelers Auto Insurance Quotes and Discounts
We compared rates from popular insurance companies in every state so that we could analyze the data to help give you an idea of how much you may pay based on your driver profile. We found that while Travelers is more expensive for teen drivers, it is one of the more affordable options for both men and women in their late 20’s as well as married drivers over 60. For example, it is 3% cheaper than Farmers–the 2nd cheapest car insurance company for 60-year old married women in our sample.
|Single, 18 Year-Old Female||Single, 18 Year-Old Male||Single, 25 Year-Old Female||Single, 25 Year-Old Male||Married, 60 Year-Old Female||Married, 60 Year-Old Male|
* These are real numbers from 2014, but are subject to change in the coming months or years. They are only here to show you how companies stack up against each other.
Travelers Auto Discounts
We don’t want you to spend more than you have to. See if you qualify for the following Travelers discounts* when shopping:
- Safe Driving Discounts: up to 23% off
- Continuous Coverage: up to 15% savings
- Multi-Policy: up to 13% off
- Eco friendly Car Discount: up to 10% off
- New Car Discount: up to 10% off
- Early Quote Discount: up to 10% off
- Multi-Car Discount: up to 8% off
- Driver Training Discount: up to 8% off
- Full Payment Discount: up to 7.5% off
- Electronic Payment Discount: up to 2% off
- Payroll Deduction Discount: up to 3% off
- On-Time Payment Discount: up to 15% off
- Homeownership Discount: up to 5% off
- Student Away At School Discount: up to 7% off
- Good Student Discount: up to 8% off
- IntelliDrive® Discount: up to 30% off if you use their driving monitoring device
For the full list of its savings, we suggest visiting Travelers.com.
We only make recommendations after doing diligent research. This includes analyzing industry ratings from trusted resources like the ones below. Here is Travelers’ most recent rankings and industry awards and recognitions.
Fortune Magazine: From 2006-2014, Travelers made Fortune magazine’s “World’s Most Admired Companies” list for its innovative technology, financial stability, claims handling, and more.
JD Power: Using customer surveys, JD Power determines how insurance companies are doing with customer service, claims, and more. This data is a great indication of how current customers feel about a company—and how you may too. Here is how Travelers scored:
Hear It From Customers
See what it’s like to be a Travelers auto insurance policyholder by reading customer reviews.
“I love Traveler’s. They have reasonable prices, great customer service, and quick claims. I have them for homeowners insurance too and suffered smoke damage for a fire and they were amazing. Often paid claims checks as they came in immediately so I would have them within a few days. “-Caroline
“It provides everything any other insurance company offers but for a better price.” -Jose
“It’s rates have remained the same!” -Corey
Features We Love
There’s a lot to admire about Travelers. Its commitment to serving customers tops our list. Here are a few ways Travelers has proven this:
The Customer Advocacy Team was created to guarantee that every customer is heard. You can be certain that your concerns and questions will be addressed in a timely manner through this customer group.
The Claim U Training Center prepares Travelers’ 13,000+ agents to assist customers better.
The People Like YouSM tool helps you compare your coverage to other Travelers members so you can get a better idea of how much car insurance you need.
You know what’s best for you. We just want to give you the facts so you can be confident in your decision. Here is what our research shows:
Travelers is best for mature drivers.
Based on the profiles it prices most competitively for, and its Responsible Driver Plans, Travelers is a great choice for young adults with a few years of driving under their belts and the road savvy driver.
Travelers Insurance first opened their doors 150 years ago and continues to serve customers today as one of the biggest property casualty companies in the world. Working internationally across South America, North America, and Europe, Travelers agents are always on call and ready to assist with setting up policies and handling claims.
Read about more companies.
Check out all of the other providers for auto insurance to find the one you like best.