We’ve analyzed the rules and regulations surrounding car insurance in Mississippi to give you the inside scoop. Don’t go on a wild goose chase–take a look at the highlights below or call a knowledgeable expert at [mapi-phone /] so they can walk you through it.
What are Mississippi state minimum car insurance requirements?
Paying for auto insurance isn’t your only option as a Mississippi driver,—although we do think it’s your best. That’s why we recommend using an insurance company to get a policy that covers the state’s liability insurance minimum requirements of:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability for one person, per one accident
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability for two or more people, per one accident
- $25,000 in property damage for any one accident
If you don’t get auto insurance coverage, Mississippi law requires you do one of two of the following as a substitute:
- Post a bond that equals Mississippi’s minimums
- Make a cash or security deposit that equals Mississippi’s minimums
This is to help ensure that if you are in an accident, you’ll have the financial means to pay for damages.
Is there an additional insurance coverage available in Mississippi?
A gladiator that went into battle with just a shield probably didn’t come out as well as one that had a helmet and body armor too. Look at additional insurance coverage the same way. The more you have, the more protected you’ll be from having to spend out-of-pocket after an accident or incident.
- Collision Coverage – Bump your car into something and this coverage can help cover the damage.
- Comprehensive Coverage – This includes damages done by vandals, storms, animals, and more.
- Towing And Labor Coverage – If you get into more than a fender bender, you’ll probably need a tow. Get this coverage so it’s on your insurance company’s tab and not your own.
- Rental Car Coverage – A car accident may leave you without a car while it’s in the shop. If you purchase this coverage, your insurance company will pay for a rental car so you can still get around.
What Mississippians pay for car insurance?
Seeing into the future isn’t something auto insurance companies do with a crystal ball. Instead, they use millions of data points to assess how much risk they are assuming by taking you on as a customer. To give you an accurate quote, variables that are considered include your:
- Driving History
- Vehicle Make and Model
- Credit History
- Commute Distance
- Insurance History
According to our research, here is where you can find the cheapest car insurance on average:
|Average Annual Rates|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
Rates alway fluctuate. It’s imperative that you compare quotes on a yearly basis so you can make sure you have the most affordable insurance out there.
The Mississippi Automobile Insurance Plan
If you have a driving history tarnished with tickets, claims, accidents, DUIs, or other citations, insurance companies may refuse to write you a policy.
The Mississippi Automobile Insurance Plan (MSAIP) is there to help. With this type of plan, insurance companies take a shared responsibility for your auto insurance policy so you can’t be denied coverage. While it is a good option, it is important to shop around for car insurance quotes in your area before going with this solution because it does have higher insurance premiums.
Is proof of insurance required in Mississippi?
If you can’t prove you’re insured, you’ll be in trouble. Mississippi laws accepts either an electronic or hard copy version of your insurance card, so not being able to find it in your glove compartment is no excuse. If you can’t prove you have updated car insurance, you may face:
- A $1,000 fine
- A one-year suspension of your license
Did you know?
Driving a car that’s frequently stolen will increase your auto insurance rates*. We don’t tell you this to make you worry. We just want you to know the risks associated with owning the following cars in Mississippi:
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Chevrolet Impala
- Nissan Altima
- Honda Accord
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
- GMC Pickup (Full Size)
- Ford Explorer
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Toyota Camry
*According to www.nicb.org
Talk to an expert
We have a whole team of licensed insurance agents who can help with your insurance questions and quotes. Call [mapi-phone /] if you’d like to talk to an insurance agent
Additional Resources for Mississippi Drivers