on February 24, 2016
We’ve reviewed the 15th largest insurance company to provide you analysis of its pros and cons, industry rankings, and more so you can make the best choice for you when it’s time to sign a policy. If you’re thinking about getting a quote from Mercury auto insurance, this guide was made for you.
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons of Mercury Auto Insurance
- If Mercury Offers Coverage Near You
- How Much Mercury Costs and Its Discounts
- How Mercury Ranks In The Industry
- Our Recommendation For You
- Good Discount Variety. There are a number of ways to save on your Mercury auto insurance policy, including infinity partnerships. What this means, is you can take advantage of discounts provided by other companies by becoming a Mercury customer. Ask about Mercury discounts when you get a quote from Mercury Insurance.
- Resource Articles. You can read up on insurance topics and more all on the Mercury blog to better educate yourself on driving safety and insurance as a whole.
- Its website is a little sparse. When looking at the experience an insurance website provides its customers, we have found that more is better. Mercury’s website is less informational when looking at similar companies.
- Average Or Below Average JD Power Scores. Industry rankings can tell a lot. Mercury scores lower than average when looking at top insurance companies.
Where You Can Get Mercury Auto Coverage
Mercury offers coverage directly or through an AIS partnership in all 50 states and Washington D.C.. See how it measures up where you live.
Where People Have The Most Mercury Auto Insurance
Market share is an industry way of saying “the percentage of customers a company has compared to competitors.” After looking at all states and Washington D.C., we ranked insurance companies based on who had the highest market share to decide who was the most popular with customers. Mercury only ranked in California, where it was the fourth most popular company—behind State Farm, Allstate, and Farmers. Here’s how they did:
- California: Out of all insured drivers in California, Mercury has policies with 4% of them and in 2014 had 1,828,364 policies written.
Cost of Mercury Auto Insurance
By analyzing annual rates from similar companies, we can show how Mercury stacks up for certain driver types. While it is one of the more expensive options for teen drivers, when it comes to drivers in their 20’s it’s about 15% cheaper than 21st Century, the 2nd most affordable option in our study. This is based on rates for single females, age 23. Companies insurance products can be created for certain profiles. As you can see below, while it is the cheapest for 23 year old females, when you look at 23 year old males, its about $800 more expensive.
|18-YEAR OLD FEMALE||18-YEAR OLD MALE||23-YEAR OLD FEMALE||23-YEAR OLD MALE||Over 65 Men and Women|
Mercury Auto Insurance Discounts
Mercury has a number of discounts you might qualify for, including:
- Safe Driving Discount for a good looking driving record.
- Multi-Car Discount
- Affiliation Discount if you’re a part of certain groups, such as teachers.
- Anti-Theft Device Discount
- Good Student Discount
How Mercury Insurance Ranks In The Industry
Ratings matter. They tell you how companies are doing compared to competitors and in the eyes of professionals and customers alike. The scores below are based on customer feedback and will tell you a lot about what you can expect from Mercury auto insurance. Customer service is something “beyond a quote” that can make the difference for your insurance.
JD Power is one of those companies that people look to for insurance company rankings. It surveys millions of customers and comes up with scores based on the feedback received. Mercury wasn’t the crème de la crème as far as scores go, but it was pretty average across the board. Here is how it scored in the 2015 studies:
We’re not really here to tell you what to do. Instead, we’re here to help you make up your mind by giving you the food for thought. Based on all of the facts about Mercury, we would say that it’s best for:
Mercury is best for mature drivers with good records.
We didn’t find anything about accident forgiveness—which means you will probably be penalized with higher rates after an accident. A lot of other companies are more forgiving, so we suggest you go with a Mercury policy if you have a good record and can qualify for some of their discounts.
Mercury Insurance has been in business for over 50 years and offers a variety of insurance products to customers. Providing low rates is at the forefront of its business goals, so you can expect reasonable pricing from the company.
Want to keep looking?
Go back to our library of auto insurance carriers so you can read more about each company and make an informed decision when it’s policy-signing time.