on November 2, 2016
Want to know whether Safeco insurance is a good choice? We created this expert review to give you the low-down on the company. The information here is based on our research and data, which includes ratings on other expert websites, rankings from industry leaders, and myriad customer reviews. Our star rating above is meant to give you an honest recommendation to help you choose the best insurance for your needs.
Here, we’re spotlighting Safeco. To get right to it, here’s the bottom line: Safeco is best for teen drivers and customers 40 and older.
To find out why we make this recommendation, let’s get into the details. Read on to learn about Safeco’s coverage and benefits, cost, customer reviews, and more, or call 855-462-2213 to speak to a licensed Safeco Insurance agent.Get a Quote
- Teen-Driver Friendly. Safeco’s Teen Safety RewardsTM program includes more than just good student and driver training discounts. Its Parent Teen Contract is available at no cost to help set agreeable expectations and responsibilities.
- Single Loss Deductibles. If you have cover both your car and home with Safeco and they are both damaged in the same claimed event (like a storm or fire), you might only have to pay one deductible. This feature is not unique to Safeco, but it can make a difference in how much you pay out of pocket after a catastrophe.
- Diminishing Deductible. Every year you don’t file a claim, your deductible will decrease—up to $500 total.
- Backed by Liberty Mutual. The financial stability that Liberty Mutual provides can give consumers peace of mind that if a claim is filed, it will be resolved in a timely manner.
- Poor Customer Reviews. We found lower-than-average customer reviews for Safeco’s auto insurance shopping experience.
- Non-nationwide Coverage. Safeco doesn’t cover every state, which means drivers in some areas can’t get coverage from the company even if they want to.
- Phone-only Claim Filing. Unlike most auto insurance companies that allow online or in-person claim handling, Safeco requires customers to call into its 24/7 claims center.
More Features We Love
- Accident Forgiveness. While it’s not clear how long you have to be a Safeco customer to take advantage of its accident forgiveness policy, Safeco will forgive your first accident. That means you won’t pay more in premiums for one mistake.
- Flexible Policy Terms. You can pick six-month or year-long contracts in case you’re going out of the country—or just don’t like having a long policy.
Overall Customer Satisfaction with Safeco
Think about the last product that you recommended to a friend. The fact that you did so is a marker of your overall customer satisfaction with that product. For our review, we wanted to provide you with the same kind of would-you-recommend information for Safeco car insurance.
When we combined car ratings from our multiple sources, Safeco received average marks for overall customer satisfaction. This may sound like it doesn’t mean much for you, but you can take it to mean that about as many customers are happy with Safeco car insurance as any other company. You should look to other factors to make your decision about whether it’s the right choice for you.
How Customers Review the Cost of Safeco Car Insurance
Generally, Safeco customers are less than happy with the price they pay for insurance. Our research found that customers reported to several sources that Safeco was too expensive—and we have a hunch why that is.
As we dive into in detail below, Safeco’s cheapest rates go to teen drivers or customers over 40. Those in the middle—drivers about ages 19 to 39—get higher rates, and these are the kinds of drivers that may be more likely to report negative reviews about cost. While we can’t be sure that’s the case, it may explain why Safeco can be super cheap for some drivers while having negative reviews.Compare Rates
Customer Service Reviews for Safeco Car Insurance
Experiences with customer service shapes the majority of opinions for many customers—sometimes even more so than price or the products themselves. So how does Safeco stack up on this metric? Unfortunately, not very well.
Our rating for Safeco customer service is 3.2, which is lower than most of the other companies we reviewed. It seems that more people have problems with Safeco customer service than positive experiences. For example:
“I too was involved in an accident with a Safeco insured driver. Her fault … but what a nightmare dealing with Safeco. Adjuster works ‘part-time,’ will not return a phone call, does not reply to email. Standard delay tactics. … I have never seen such horrible customer service.” —Mark, posted on Expert Insurance Reviews
Several other sites include customers calling out Safeco insurance agents by name to report negative customer experiences. But not all reviews were so terrible:
“I never had problems with talking to anyone or meeting with the adjuster and everyone was polite. My windshield broke a month later and that was replaced with no questions.” —codylink02, posted to Car Insurance Credio
Remember, people are more likely to review a company if they have a negative experience, but that’s why we looked at many different sources. In the end, however, Safeco did not appear to do well. .
How Customers Review Safeco’s Car Insurance Claims Process
Once again, Safeco received less-than-stellar marks, this time for its claims process. Many people never have to file a claim with their insurance company, but when they do, they expect a relatively painless experience. While almost no-one enjoys filing an accident claim (if you do, we have some questions), Safeco doesn’t compare well to the process of its competitors.
We gave Safeco a 3.3 out of 5 on this metric—is it deserved? The fact that the company requires customers to file claims by phone is probably a huge reason that it got low marks. While the over-the-phone process seems straightforward and the claims center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, customers today demand more convenient, digital options for managing their financial needs.
How Safeco Ranks in the Industry
Who doesn’t love winning a trophy? Athletes gets theirs. So do actors. It makes sense then that insurance companies do too. These trophies come in the form of customer satisfaction studies. See how Safeco has done in these prominent surveys.
J.D. Power: For 48 years, J.D. Power has provided insights into the customer experience. While its shopping experience ranks lower than most insurance companies, Safeco is better than average in all categories for current customers who filed claims. Use its recent rankings as an indication of how customers feel about Safeco—and how you might too.
Where You Can Get Safeco Coverage
Before you set your heart on an insurance company, it’s smart to double check that it offers coverage in your state. Safeco doesn’t insure in Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, Rhode Island, or Washington, D.C. Find out more about Safeco in your state:
Cost of Safeco Car Insurance
In our analysis we compared average annual rates from similar auto insurance companies to give you an idea of how much you may pay based on your driver profile.
According to our research, Safeco is roughly 13 percent cheaper for 40-year-old married men and women when compared to the companies in our comparison below. It’s also competitively priced for teens—coming in as the second cheapest.
|18 YEAR OLD DRIVERS||25 YEAR OLD SINGLE FEMALES||25 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALES||40 YEAR OLD MARRIED FEMALES||40 YEAR OLD MARRIED MALES|
*These are real numbers from 2014 and 2015, but are subject to change. We present them here to show you how carriers stack up against each other.
Save Big with Discounts
Is saving money your number one concern? Here are the discounts* Safeco offers to help customers save on their policies:
- Low Mileage Discount – Up to 20 percent if you drive fewer than 8,000 miles annually
- Multi-policy Discount – Up to 15 percent
- Accident Prevention Discount
- Multi-Car Discount
- Homeowners Discount
- Anti-lock Brakes Discount
- Higher Deductible Discount
- Pay-in-full Discount
- Good Student Discount – Up to 20 percent
- Teen Safe Driver Discount – Up to 15 percent
- Distant Student Discount
- Driver Training Discount
- Tenure Discount
We want to hand you the facts and let you make up your own mind, because you know what’s best for your life. Here’s what the facts tell us: Safeco is best for drivers 40 and over.
Our research shows that Safeco’s prices are most competitive for mature drivers—whether married or single. Its average annual premium for drivers over 50 is $1,337.94, making it the seventh cheapest for this age group when looking at the 25 most popular carriers. We believe that older customers are more likely to own a home and could take advantage of the single loss deductible coverage.
About Safeco Insurance
For more than 85 years, Safeco has been helping customers get auto coverage they can count on. Along with home, renters, condo, boat, and more insurance options, they’ll have your back if and when you need them.Visit Site
Next Steps: Read our reviews on the best car insurance companies to help make your decision.