on February 5, 2016
Knowing what your homeowners insurance provider is all about before signing a policy is crucial to your satisfaction and wellbeing. We took a deep look at a number of top insurance providers, including The Hartford and AARP, so you can learn the details about each one. We are not affiliated with either company, so you can rest assured you are getting unbiased reviews. Take a look at what home insurance with The Hartford/AARP is like on this page.
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons of The Hartford/AARP Home Insurance
- If The Hartford/AARP Offers Coverage Near You
- The Hartford/AARP Discounts
- How The Hartford/AARP Ranks In The Industry
- Where The Hartford/AARP is Most Popular
- What Customers Think About The Hartford/AARP
- Our Favorite The Hartford/AARP Features
What are the pros?
- Tailored To 50-And Older Adults. The Hartford has a special partnership with AARP (the only insurance company that has this) and coverage is tailored to this age group. The AARP membership also comes with discounts and more savings you can enjoy.
- Extended Coverage. If you choose the extended plan, your house will be insured for 100% of its replacement value. That means The Hartford/AARP will pay up to 150% of what it costs to rebuild it if you suffer a total loss.
- Partially Waived Deductible. If your home is damaged or destroyed and there’s more than $25,000 in damage, The Hartford/AARP will forgive up to $5,000 of your deductible. That’s $5,000 less out of your own pocket during a stressful time.
- Full Replacement Coverage. You can opt into this coverage so you’ll get 100% back for items damaged or destroyed in your home. Most companies only offer depreciated values, but this type of coverage makes it so that you will get back 100% of the replacement cost of your protected personal property with no deduction for depreciation. This feature offers a unique type of protection that you can’t get on some other homeowners policies and is most commonly attributed to renters insurance coverage.
What are the cons?
- They Don’t Insure Everywhere. The Hartford/AARP doesn’t provide homeowners insurance in all states.
Where can you get insurance from The Hartford/AARP?
The Hartford/AARP insures in 47 U.S. states plus Washington D.C., but not in Alaska, Hawaii or Massachusetts. Click on your state below to learn about coverage options.
What home insurance discounts does the company have available?
Want to save on your homeowners insurance products from The Hartford/AARP? Here are some discounts you might be able to qualify for.
- Multi-Policy Discount (up to 20% off on your homeowners insurance policy and 5% off auto insurance coverage when you bundle)
- Home Security Discount (you can reduce your insurance premium just by having security features to keep you and your family safe)
- Policy Renewal Credit (perfect for auto insurance policies, too!)
- Retiree Credit
See all discounts offered through them.
What do the insurance industry rankings indicate?
Reviewing industry rankings can help you get the whole story about an insurance company before you agree to sign a policy, giving you a broader perspective than you could get just from an insurance agent. See how The Hartford (on its own) ranks amongst customers based on top customer satisfaction reviews.
JD Power is a trusted source for consumer feedback. Based on surveys that ask questions about customer service, pricing, and more, here’s how The Hartford did in a 2015 JD Power U.S. Household Insurance Study for Homeowners Insurance:
Where is The Hartford/AARP home insurance the most popular?
The Hartford (including AARP) ranks in the top 10 for market share in 14 states and Washington D.C. Here is how where it ranks, its market share, and the sheer number of policies it sells in its 14 largest coverage areas.
|Rank in State||Market Share Percent||Direct Premiums Written|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
What do customer reviews say?
“I like The Hartford’s pricing.” – Glen W.
“They’re agents are easy to work with and don’t hustle you.” Cesare H.
What are our favorite policy features?
The Hartford/AARP homeowners insurance has a lot of additional benefits for policyholders. Here are some highlights we tracked down:
- Consumer-Friendly Technology. The Hartford (not specifically The Hartford/AARP) has an app that customers can use to monitor their claims, pay bills, and much more.
- Catastrophe Center. The Hartford has a resource center for its mature customers that covers information you need to know to live safer lives and stay informed.
About The Hartford/AARP
The Hartford has been in business for 200 years and focuses on building strong and trusting relationships with its clients.
AARP, or American Association of Retired Persons, has been around since 1958. If you’re 50 and older, you can join AARP to enjoy discounts, deals, and benefit from the organization’s commitment to strengthen social security, cheapen healthcare, and create more affordable housing opportunities.
Want To Check Out Other Companies?
Take a look at other popular home insurance company reviews.