on January 30, 2016
Don’t let the complexities of the 7th largest auto insurance company in the United States overwhelm you. We’ve inspected the ins and outs of Liberty Mutual’s car insurance coverage to see what makes it the almost $10 billion company it is today. We are not in any way affiliated with Liberty Mutual–just insurance experts wanting to help you to feel confident in your decision for an auto insurance company.
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons
- Liberty Mutual’s Coverage Area
- How Much it Costs and Discounts Available
- It’s Industry Ranking
- Where People Have The Most Liberty Mutual Car Insurance
- Customer Reviews of Liberty Mutual
- Our Favorite Features
- Our Recommendation For You
The Best Stuff
- Better Car Replacement Coverage: An added option you can include in your policy to help protect you from unforeseen accidents. Unlike New Car Replacement, which is a standard Liberty Mutual feature, Better Car Replacement coverage will not only replace your vehicle, but will reimburse you money for a car that is a year newer than your totaled car.
- Liberty Mutual has a history of being teen-friendly. For the past 25 years, Liberty Mutual has partnered with Students Against Destructive Decisions to promote responsible driving habits. The partnership has resulted in Liberty Mutual providing extensive online driving courses, a teen driving contract, and numerous car insurance discounts specifically designed for teens.
- Coverage Calculator: This easy-to-use tool takes the guess-work out of how much coverage you need by helping you determine how much auto insurance to buy. While a coverage calculator is not uncommon for insurance companies to provide, Liberty Mutual is more user-friendly and all-encompassing in its effort to provide users with useful data.
- Accident Forgiveness: Your first accident won’t cause a spike in your premiums with Liberty Mutual. It’s always nice to know you have one freebie.
Its mobile app abilities. While there is a Liberty mutual mobile app available for iPhone and Android users, customer reviews have uncovered concerns surrounding its capabilities and effectiveness.
Where You Can Get Liberty Mutual Coverage
Everywhere in the country, you have the option of choosing Liberty Mutual as your auto insurance provider. Rates will vary by state, so it’s imperative for you to see how it compares to other insurance companies near you.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Quotes and Discounts
We analyzed quotes from every state to give you an idea of how Liberty Mutual insurance quotes compare to other top insurance companies. Our research shows that on average, Liberty Mutual is roughly 60% more expensive when looking at the five profiles combined. In order to get a more accurate picture, it’s recommended to review Liberty Mutual’s average cost in your state.
|18 SINGLE FEMALE||18 SINGLE MALE||25 SINGLE FEMALE||25 SINGLE MALE||40 MARRIED FEMALE||40 MARRIED MALE|
How Much Drivers Like You Pay For Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance
Our research found that on average, drivers who choose Liberty Mutual will pay roughly $2,194.59 a year. These rates will vary by state, age, sex, marital status, and more, but can serve as a starting point when shopping for car insurance. When only looking at gender alone, female drivers typically pay almost $400 less.
|Average Annual Rates|
|Drivers in Their 20's||$2,337.19|
|Drivers in Their 30's||$1,745.17|
|Drivers Over 50||$1,373.40|
* These are real numbers from 2014 and 2015, but are subject to change in the coming months or years. They are only here to show you how companies stack up against each other.
Liberty Mutual Discounts
Saving money is one of the sweeter things in life. Here are discounts offered by Liberty Mutual to help you save on your auto policy:
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Group Savings Discount
- Pay-In-Full Discount
- E-Pay Discount
- New User Discount
- Safety Features Discount
- Green Vehicle Discount
- Multi-Car Discount
- Teen Driver Discount
- Good Grades Discount
- Newlywed Discount
- Moving Discount
- Retiree Discount
Where People Have The Most Liberty Mutual Insurance
Customers usually flock to a certain company for a reason. It could be great pricing or fantastic customer service. Liberty Mutual ranks in the top 10 auto insurance companies for drivers in 47 states. The states that make up its largest market share segments are Massachusetts and New Hampshire, but it sells the most in California and New York. Here is how it ranks, the number of policies it writes, and the percentage of drivers it insures in each state it ranks in the top 10 for:
|State Rank||New Policies Written||Market Share|
Liberty Mutual Ranking and Reviews
Insurance companies strive for 100% satisfaction from customers, and most policyholders want to be 100% happy with their insurance provider. Luckily, there are ratings analysts who provide industry insight into consumer happiness. Below are the latest ratings Liberty Mutual has earned from JD Power:
What Real People Are Saying
“With Liberty Mutual, the first accident is excused as if it didn’t happen. The rates are reasonable.” –Nicole
“They are cheap!” –Christian
Features We Love
Our research turned up additional features provided by Liberty Mutual that deserve recognition, including:
- The Torch Blog covers every topic under the sun when it comes to auto insurance and more. Not only is it an educational tool, but its ease of use makes it attractive to a variety of users.
- Deductible Fund. This add-on gives you $100 toward your deductible when you sign up and it decreases over time if you don’t get into accidents. If you find yourself in a jam, you hopefully won’t have to pay too much out-of-pocket if you have to file a claim.
- Teacher’s Coverage. At no additional cost, Liberty Mutual provides unique car insurance coverage for teachers. This includes vandalism loss protection while your car is on school property, collision coverage when you’re driving for school business, and personal property coverage for any teaching related materials that are lost or stolen.
What We Would Do
It doesn’t matter what we would do, we’re not you. We’re only here to help you connect the dots to find an insurance company that best fits your needs. Here’s what the facts are telling us about Liberty Mutual auto insurance based on its offerings:
Liberty Mutual car insurance is best for established drivers and families with teen drivers.
Our research shows that Liberty Mutual auto insurance falls on the more expensive side for every driver profile we reviewed. These facts point to the assumption that its auto insurance is designed for a more affluent driver profile who doesn’t mind paying for higher quality. Additionally, with its teenSMART driving program, discounts and more, Liberty Mutual is as great for families introducing a teen driver to their policy as it is for a driver with a more expendable income.
About Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance
Liberty Mutual has been in business for over 100 years. That’s a long time to get auto policies right. Since then, they’ve become a trusted auto insurance provider to young and old drivers alike.
Compare other auto insurance companies.
Take a look at our detailed research about the best car insurance companies of 2016.