on February 5, 2016
Check out all the information we’ve compiled about American Family homeowners insurance. It can be used to help you make a decision to go with them or look to other home insurance companies—and feel confident in your decision. We are not in any way affiliated with American Family, so you can trust that this review is based on our research alone.
offer auto, home, and many other insurance products with customized coverage options to meet the consumer’s needs. You might’ve seen their commercials on TV, or maybe you know someone insured under American Family.
Whatever your background with them, many people start with companies like American Family when getting quotes for auto policies. They’re not often the cheapest, but many Americans feel they get smart protection.
Before you can make an informed decision, though, there are things you need to know about American Family Insurance.
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons of American Family Home Insurance
- If AmFam Offers Coverage Near You (Link to where they insure)
- AmFam Discounts
- How AmFam Ranks In The Industry
- Where AmFam is Most Popular
- What Customers Think About AmFam
- Our Favorite AmFam Features
What Are The Positives about American Family?
- Dream Vault. American Family’s cutting edge technology lets you catalog all of your belongings in a digital app. So if you ever need to file a claim you’ll have all the information you need in one place. It will make for a quicker claims process and cut down on time and effort it would take to track down damaged or destroyed possessions. It’s something to think about when you get a quote from American Family.
- Interactive Home Tool. This tool walks you through a virtual home (and apartment for renters) and gives you tips about how to make yours safer. It does things like pointing out where kids can get hurt and how fires can start.
- Excellent Scoring. American Family did exceptionally well in J.D. Power surveys. This means customers are more than happy with its homeowners insurance experience compared to other insurance companies. This translates into customers who stay with the company and continue to receive rewards.
What Are The Negative Points around American Family?
Every company has some drawbacks. Sometimes, it comes down to the individual insurance policies. For example, you may not get the lowest price. The optional coverages you want with AmFam may be out of your price range. If you live in certain higher risk areas, you could face other challenges. All these should be compared to other companies that offer insurance coverages. There is one thing many potential customers run into.
- Limited Coverage. American Family only offers coverage in select states. So while they offer a wide range of insurance products and extra protection, it’s not available in some states.
Where It Covers
Homeowners in 19 states have the privilege of applying for a policy with American Family. These states, include: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin. Find important home insurance specific to where you live, by clicking on your state below.
What Kind of Homeowners Policy Discounts Does American Family Offer?
These are the American Family discounts that may help you save money on your insurance quote if you qualify:
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Age Discount (2%-12% off depending on your age)
- Claims-Free Discounts (3%-13% off)
- Loyal Customer Discount (5%-15% off)
- Home Purchase Discount (2%-5% off)
- Security/Safety Device Discount (3%-20% off)
- Impact-Resistant Roof (2%-6% off)
- New Home Discount (4%-32% off)
- Secondary Home Discount (2%-14% off)
See American Family’s full list of discounts.
What Kind of Insurance Ratings Does American Family Have?
Insurance companies have financial and customer review scores so you can see how they operate as a company and how they treat their customers. This is how American Family has done:
Weiss Rating studies the financial situation of over 11,000 companies. The highest score is an A+ and the lowest is an E-. American Family received a B+ for financial strength for a 2015 Weiss Rating. That means it’s doing pretty well stability-wise.
JD Power Scores: In a JD Power survey, customers report how they feel about a company across a number of categories. It’s a great way to gauge customer satisfaction. In its 2015 U.S. Household Insurance Study for Homeowners Insurance, American Family scored:
Where People Have The Most American Family Home Insurance
Market share is a fancy way of saying what “percentage of customers a company has in a certain region compared to its competitors.” According to our research it is a top 10 provider for homeowners in 20 states. Here are the states where AmFam has the highest market share of homeowners compared to other companies:
- Wisconsin: American Family is the number one provider of homeowners insurance in Wisconsin with 22.21% of the market share.
- Missouri: 15.32%
- Kansas: 15.13%
- Minnesota: 13.54%
- North Dakota: 12.26%
Here is American Family’s top 13 states–the ones that rank in the top 10 for market share.
|Rank in State||Market Share Percent||Direct Premiums Written|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
Companies with top market share tend to have good customer service, low quotes, insure many drivers, or some combination of the above.
Where Does AmFam Sell The Most Policies?
Want to know where AmFam sells the most homeowners policies, based on just sheer volume? Here are its top five selling states:
- Wisconsin: 285,868 policies
- Missouri: 282,166 policies
- Minnesota: 261,409 policies
- Colorado: 189,306 policies
- Illinois: 170,918 policies
*stats pulled from naic.org
What Are Customers Saying about American Family Insurance?
“I’ve been with American Family for 15 years. They have competitive rates and great client service. All of my assets are covered under one company.” – Ric D.
“I like American Family’s low prices, frankness, and the promptness of my agent. We text each other!” – Emma I.
“American Family is personable, easy to deal with, and they call and tell me happy birthday.” – Angie P.
“I enjoy the fact that I have a local representative, designated to a small case load. The customer care is relatively simple, but the claims workers aren’t the friendliest.” – Zoe J.
Our Favorite Features
See what more there is to love about American Family Insurance with these bonus features:
- Education Center. American Family has a designated section where they cover topics homeowners need to know about—from insurance to keeping your home safer to what to do in an emergency.
- Modern technology like the American Family app allows you to pay bills, contact an agent, view policy documents, download insurance cards for Passbook, and more on-the-go.
- Certified Repair Program. If your home needs fixing after a storm or fire, American Family’s network of repairmen can do it for you. This service includes three year warranties on repairs and quick estimates. Plus, these repair shops have all been vetted so you’ll be able to have peace of mind knowing they’re trustworthy shops.
- On-Call Catastrophe Team. If a storm or emergency occurs, American Family will dispatch claims professionals to that area to help customers. This means they’ll be able to assist you with getting your life back to normal faster.
American Family Insurance has been insuring customers for over 80 years. From auto to home to life insurance and more, they’re in the business of helping people protect their most valuable possessions and themselves.
Want To Keep Comparing Companies?
Window shop some other top home insurance providers that might tickle your fancy.