on February 5, 2016
Homeowners insurance policies protect you and your stuff from damage. If you don’t have the right coverage, you could be in big trouble. In order to help you find the best provider, we compiled this Travelers home insurance review, so you know what’s what before you decide to open a policy or not. We are not in any way affiliated with Travelers Insurance, so you can be certain you are getting an unbiased review.Compare Rates
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons of Travelers Home Insurance
- If Travelers Offers Coverage Near You
- Travelers Discounts
- How Travelers Ranks In The Industry
- Where Travelers is Most Popular
- What Customers Think About Travelers
- Our Favorite Travelers Features
The Great Stuff
- Customer Advocacy Team. Travelers has a special team in place to make sure customers get the best treatment. This means the company as a whole prioritizes customer satisfaction and has your best interest in mind.
- Catastrophe Response Teams. Travelers has specialized teams they deploy when there is a natural disaster that affects customers. This way, you can get the help you need to settle claims and get back on your feet faster.
The Not So Great Stuff
- Limited Coverage. Travelers doesn’t insure in all states.
- Below Average Industry Rankings. Travelers didn’t do so hot in some JD Power scores which reports on customer satisfaction.
Where Travelers Homeowners Policies Are Offered
Travelers offers home insurance in 41 states and Washington D.C.. While it doesn’t insure homeowners in a number of states, it may work with partner companies to provide coverage. Click your state below to see what types of coverages are required where you live.
Travelers Home Discounts
Here’s something for you coupon-lovers: the homeowners insurance discount section. See if you can save with these Travelers discounts.
- Multi-Policy (up to 15% off)
- Homebuyer Discount
- Loss-Free Discount
- Safety Device Discount
- Green Home Discount (up to 5% off for LEED certification)
Make sure you choose an insurance company that has done well in industry rankings and you’ll be off on the right foot. Here’s how Travelers has scored in the insurance world based on financial strength and customer reviews.
Fortune Magazine: From 2006-2014, Travelers made Fortune magazine’s “World’s Most Admired Companies” list. This is a big deal since this respected list compares top businesses.
JD Power surveys customers to determine overall satisfaction across a number of categories. In a 2015 JD Power U.S. Household Insurance Study for Homeowners Insurance, Travelers scored:
Three is “average” and everything below is sub par, so you can see that Travelers might have some work to do in order to please customers better.
States Where Travelers Auto Insurance Is Most Popular
All companies have a part of the “market share.” That’s the percentage of customers it has in a certain region compared to competitors. Based on our research, Travelers ranks as a top 10 provider for homeowners in 33 states. Out of that–it ranks as a top five provider in eight states. Looking at market share alone, its biggest piece of the pie is in Washington D.C., where it insures 21.31% of homeowners.
|Rank in State||Market Share Percent||Direct Premiums Written|
Where People Like You Have The Most Travelers Policies
The table above also shows where Travelers sells the most policies in terms of quantity. Here are the highlights:
- New York: 496,677 policies
- Texas: 275,846 policies
- California: 221,647 policies
- Pennsylvania: 221,277 policies
- Georgia: 172,644 policies
Hear It From Customers
“Travelers’ rates have remained the same.” – Corey B.
“Travelers provides everything any other insurance company offers for a better price.” Jose G.
“I love Travelers. They have reasonable prices, great customer service, and quick claims. I have a homeowners insurance policy and suffered smoke damage during a fire and they were amazing. Travelers often paid claims checks as they came in immediately so I would have them within a few days. Would recommend them to anyone.” – Caroline B.
Features We Love
Here is some of the stuff we found that you might like to know about if you’re thinking about becoming a Travelers customer:
- The Claim U Training Center is something that 13,000+ agents go through to learn how to assist customers better. We haven’t seen this from any other insurance company except Nationwide, so it’s a unique and beneficial feature.
- You can read all about how much coverage you should get and the different types of coverage on the Travelers website. Most insurance companies have a resource center like this, but it’s something that can help you as a policyholder lead a safer and more informed life.
Travelers Insurance has been in business for over a century. About 150 years to be exact. Today, it is one of the biggest property casualty companies in the world and have offices in South America, North America, and Europe.
Read More About Other Home Insurance Providers?
Check out all of the other home insurance providers to find the one you like best.