Winter Moving Tips
Moving during any time of the year can be a daunting task, but moving in the winter can prove to be even more stressful. Our friends at FlatRate Moving have put together some tips on surviving a winter move.
- Get a head start: Much like everything else, the early bird catches the worm. The sooner you start planning for your move, the more prepared you will be by move day. We recommend creating a moving checklist that details everything you need to do prior to your move. Outlining all of your moving tasks in one checklist will ensure you stay on track and will also ensure your moving day is a more relaxing one.
- Hire Movers: This might seem like a no-brainer to some, but for many doing a self-move seems like the only feasible option when planning for a move. When it comes to moving in the winter, you want to trust your personal belongings to the pros who are well equipped to maneuver your items and furniture through potential snow, sleet, and icy conditions. With the many unknowns that come about during the winter, let the professionals handle all the details so you can focus on getting settled in to your new home and cozying up by the fire.
- Monitor weather and pack accordingly: Although there is not a ton one can do to change Mother Nature’s mind, knowing ahead of time what the weather will be like on move day will make you more prepared for what’s to come. Check the weather each day for 3-5 days before your move to get an accurate picture of what you are up against. Pack an essentials bag full of winter clothing and boots that you know you will need immediately when you arrive at your new home. This will prevent you searching through tons of boxes to find what you need.
- Service your car: While many city-dwellers will rely on public transportation to get to their new home, many will be travelling to their new home via car. Whether you are moving around the corner or moving to another state, it’s recommended to get a general tune-up for your car within a few weeks of your move date. This will ensure that the car will be running properly come move day and that a breakdown is unlikely to occur. Getting stuck in the middle of the road is not a fun event in general, so having it happen on move day is something to surely avoid.
- Set up utilities: With so many things on your mind around move day, you might neglect the important task of setting up your utilities at your new place. With the cold temperatures outside, you will want to be sure that electricity, heat, and hot water are all working properly before the big day. Nobody wants to spend their first night in their new place huddled under blankets in the dark, so make this a priority to set up in advance.
Moving during the winter time can add a few more challenges into the mix, but with careful planning, your winter move will be a successful one. Keep these tips in your back pocket and you’ll be well on your way to a stress-free moving experience.
Warm up to these special moving discounts this winter with FlatRate.
December Promotion: Receive a studio package box delivery free of charge* for any long distance move. Mention code “LD1215”
December Promotion: Sign a 1 year storage contract and receive 50% off your into storage move and 50% off your out of storage move OR receive free out of storage move*. Mention code “STORE1215”
For more questions, please feel free to contact me at: [email protected]