Why Plymouth Rock Is the Best Car Insurance Company in New JerseyDaniel D'Auria via flickr.com, used under CC BY-SA 2.0 | Modified from original
Are you looking for New Jersey car insurance? You may have already read our guide to the cheapest car insurance in the Garden State, but at Obrella we know that cheapest doesn’t necessarily mean best. That’s why we’ve gathered and compiled data to give you this go-to guide to getting the best insurance for driving Jersey streets. The result? Plymouth Rock Assurance® climbed to the top. Read on to learn why, plus find out which companies rounded out the three best.
How We Decided
We looked at each insurance company’s rankings for cheapest rates, popularity, and customer satisfaction. We believe the best car insurance company in New Jersey will have high ratings in all three of these categories. Remember that these rankings are based on a compilation of three important aspects. It’s up to you to ultimately decide what’s best for your needs.
Best 3 New Jersey Car Insurance Companies
New Jerseyans, here’s our list of the best 3 car insurance companies in your state:
- Plymouth Rock Assurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Travelers Insurance
Why Plymouth Rock Is the Best Car Insurance Company in New Jersey
Plymouth Rock Assurance topped our list with the best overall rankings in popularity, customer satisfaction, and premium cost. Coming in strong at second place for the cheapest rates behind only Farmers, Plymouth Rock ascended to the best thanks to its above-average rankings in both popularity* and customer satisfaction.
Founded in 1982, Plymouth Rock manages more than $1 billion in personal and commercial insurance throughout several northeast states. Today, it’s one of the most popular companies in New Jersey for auto insurance.
In customer satisfaction, Plymouth Rock ranks well, too. When we looked at complaints versus the number of vehicles insured, the company had a 0.455 “complaint index,” which is very good (the closer to zero, the better). In 2010, the company was awarded for their innovative customer mobile app by the “INNovators Awards for Customer Service.”
*Plymouth Rock Assurance is part of Palisades Insurance Group in New Jersey. Our popularity ranking is based on the Palisades group market share.
Plymouth Rock Assurance Special Programs and Services
- Crashbusters® – This unique program sends a “mobile claim representative” directly to you to assess and appraise any damage to your car after an accident.
- Get Home Safe® – Sometimes you may be too tired or a little too buzzed to drive. This benefit pays up to $50 for a one-way taxi cab fare home.
- Door to Door Valet Claim Service® – Plymouth Rock will “valet” your damaged car to the shop so you don’t have to. They’ll also coordinate a rental car for you if you have rental coverage.
Why Farmers Is Number 2
Farmers is the king in New Jersey when it comes to being the cheapest. If low rates were all that mattered, Farmers would have topped our best-of list, but we think you should consider a few more details.
If this were a popularity contest, Farmers wouldn’t win over New Jersey. But Farmers has a huge national presence, breaking into the top 10 of property and casualty insurance companies by market share. With great popularity likely comes a great deal of knowledge and insight into its customers and the auto insurance industry.
We’ve reviewed Farmers before, but we’ve highlighted a few key positives about the company below.
Farmers Insurance Special Programs and Services
- Discounts – If you want discounts, Farmers is chock full. You could save money with discounts for students, homeowners, incident forgiveness, and more.
- Accident and Small Claim Forgiveness – If you’ve just had your first accident in three years or more, or you’re only filing for a fender bender — no sweat, you’re forgiven!
- The Farmers Rewards Visa® Card – Available only for Farmers customers, this credit card rewards you with points you can redeem for credits to your bill, travel, and more. What’s more, you get the most points for spending on your Farmers insurance products and services. Staying loyal has its rewards!
Why Travelers Is Number 3
Travelers Insurance is another huge national player, but its market share isn’t so big in New Jersey. Its popularity, combined with the third-cheapest rates and average customer satisfaction, landed it at number three on our list.
We ran the numbers before and found Travelers’ rates to be low for Garden State dwellers. And it’s especially cheap for people in their late 20s and married drivers over 60. Combined with some of the discounts the company offers, we think its a good choice.
Travelers Insurance Special Programs and Services
- Claim University – Travelers has a special training center that prepares its 13,000+ agents to assist customers better. The company’s claims center is open 24/7, and its easy to file a claim online or through its mobile app.
- People Like YouSM – Want to compare your coverage to other Travelers members? You can use this tool to get a better idea of how much car insurance you need.
- Premier Responsible Driver Plan® – This top-tier feature decreases your deductible every policy term (six or 12 months) if you don’t have an accident.
How Do I Know which Insurance Company Is Right for Me?
We crunched the numbers, analyzed different factors, and rated these top auto insurance companies for you. But when it comes to making a decision, the choice is up to you. If you’re looking for the absolute cheapest in New Jersey, you may want to pick Farmers. But taking popularity and customer satisfaction into consideration may change your mind. And remember, there are several factors that can lower or increase your rates. For example, we’ve written about how the longer you drive a day, the more expensive your insurance can be.
Once you know your priorities, it’s time to get some quotes! Call a licensed agent, and he or she will help you find what’s right for your needs.