on October 17, 2016
If you’re interested in what USAA offers for home insurance coverage, check out the rundown of reviews here. From pros and cons to discounts and more, we’ll give you our opinion of the company, and then share what we’ve heard from customers like you.
- Military Friendly. USAA’s founders wanted to provide quality insurance to military members and their families. If you’re a service man or woman, all its products are geared toward you.
- Customers are happy. USAA has a 98 percent retention rate, meaning the overwhelming majority of customers stick with the company rather than try another. We don’t want to make too many assumptions, but this is probably because of USAA’s reportedly stellar customer service.
- MasterCard® Rewards Card. As a USAA home insurance policyholder, you may be eligible for a rewards credit card that gives you an unlimited 1.5 percent cashback on purchases. And if you’re on active duty, you’ll enjoy a discounted APR.
- Military only. Sorry, civilians. USAA is an impressive option, but if you’re not in the military, you can’t purchase home insurance from this company.
USAA Home Insurance Features We Love
There’s a lot to love about USAA home coverage, including:
- Flexible payments. Because USAA is military-centric, you get payment options that work with a military payroll schedule—plus lower APRs for active duty members. This means you could stop stressing about paying your premiums while serving.
- Mobile technology. USAA’s mobile app helps you manage your policy, pay premiums, and more all while on the go. It’s easier to keep your insurance cards and information on your mobile device than fumbling for paper documents.
- Resource center. USAA wants its customers to be informed on homeowner safety and insurance policies. It gives you a hefty resource center on its website devoted to homeowner topics, insurance FAQ, and more, all designed to keep you in-the-know.
Customer Reviews of USAA Homeowners Insurance
You’ve heard what we love about USAA home insurance, but what do customers think? We’ve done the research and asked policyholders to find out about their experience as USAA home insurance customers. Here is what USAA home insurance customers say:
“I’ve been with them for a while, and they really take care of their customers.” – Jacob S.
“Great customer service.” – Bryce F.
“They take care of me as a customer because I’ve been with them for over 12 years.” William P.
“The price is very reasonable.” – Alex R.
“I liked the customer service and the price of everything.” – Aaron M.
“It’s probably the best in the U.S.!” – Jeremy C.
“They are awesome.” – Joe W.
“Customer service is always one hundred percent helpful. They will stay on the phone for as long as you need.” – Jennifer S.
“Excellent customer service and quick turnaround of claims.” – Allison L.
USAA Home Insurance Industry Rankings
Movies and restaurants have critics—and so do insurance companies. By looking at home insurance company scores for customer service and financial standings, you’ll be able to see how a home insurance company operates and is regarded by customers and the industry. Here’s the rundown on USAA industry rankings:
- A.M. Best: This financial strength analyst company gave USAA its highest, superior rating—an A++ for financial strength. It’s safe to assume that USAA has the financial backing to be a solid home insurance provider for the foreseeable future.
- Standard & Poor’s: This company also analyzes insurance companies based on financial strength. USAA got an AA+, the second highest score possible.\
- Moody’s Investors Service: Another trusted financial ranker, Moody’s gave USAA the highest score it offers for financial strength—an Aaa.
- Weiss Rating: Weiss Ratings’ measure of financial strength earned USAA an A-. Weiss considers this grade “excellent.”
- Forrester Research: In a Forrester Research study, USAA Insurance ranked in the top three insurance companies for customer advocacy. Supported by its near-100 percent retention rate, this data is backed up by customer satisfaction.
How Much USAA Home Insurance Costs
Our analysis of USAA home insurance quotes turned up average ratings for the company. In some states, like South Carolina, USAA was very cheap–just $553 per year. In others, especially those in severe-weather states, the prices were much steeper, and there were cheaper alternatives. Fortunately, USAA offers plenty of discounts for home insurance customers. Here are some of the best discounts available:
- Family Discount (up to 10 percent off)
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Safety Device Discount
- Non-Smoker Discount
The final word: USAA home insurance is a solid choice
While military members and their families definitely have other options for home insurance, USAA is probably the best choice because they cater to the needs of this demographic. These customers have an even better advantage with the ability to combine USAA insurance and financial products under one, reliable company. USAA is a safe bet for homeowners insurance coverage based on strong financial standing, competitive and flexible pricing, and customer happiness. Still not sure which insurance company is right for you? Take a look at other home insurance providers until you find the best fit.
If you’re ready for your own USAA home insurance quote, give us a call at [mapi-phone /], or tell us a little bit about yourself for an online quote delivered to your email.
More about USAA
USAA is a financial and insurance company for military personnel and their immediate families. Founded in 1922, USAA built its company on the pillars of service, loyalty, honesty, and integrity. Today, it provides retirement, banking, investment, and insurance services for the men and women who serve our nation.
To find out what we found about other aspects of the company, read more: