on April 27, 2016
Safeco home insurance policy lingo can be a lot to get a handle on. That’s why we’ve gathered all the information you may need in one place to help you decide if Safeco is the right fit to protect you, your family, and your home. If you are considering becoming a Safeco customer, use this guide to find information about Safeco’s discounts, pricing, satisfaction ratings, and more!
What information are you looking for?
- The Pros and Cons of Safeco Home Insurance
- If Safeco Offers Coverage Near You
- Safeco Home Insurance Discounts
- How Safeco Ranks in The Industry
- Where Safeco Is Most Popular
- Our Favorite Safeco Features
What Are The Advantages of Insurance with Safeco?
- Flexibility. Safeco strives to fit into your life, which is why its billing statements are simple and its coverage has flexible options. This way you get the exact coverage you really need and nothing extra.
- 24/7 Service. A Safeco agent is available 24/7 to help you process a claim or get a quote. In addition, because Safeco works through agents, you get human interaction every step of the way. Whatever time zone you’re in or your needs, you don’t have to worry about waiting until the next day if you’re in an accident or have another crisis.
- Discounts. In addition to several discounts available, Safeco lowers your rate if you pay your insurance bill in one lump payment annually.
- Easy Access to Your Policy. Whether you’re on your computer, phone, or other mobile device, you can easily manage your policy online.
What Are The Disadvantages of Insurance with Safeco Insurance?
- Must Use Licensed Agents. While this does guarantee human-to-human interaction, prices tend to be on the more expensive side when agents are involved. Several insurance companies have eliminated the middle man the agents allowing you to get a quote and purchase your insurance online or using an app. Safeco doesn’t give you this option.
- So-So Customer Service. Consumer reviews on for Safeco online are meh. Sure, some consumers swear by Safeco, but we found many reviews reporting poor service dealing with claims.
Where Safeco Offers Home Insurance
Safeco writes policies in most states, but not in Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, Rhode Island, or Washington, D.C. Use the map below to find out more about insurance specifically in your state.
What Home Insurance Discounts Are Available through Safeco Insurance?
It’s easy to save on a Safeco home insurance policy. We’ve listed just a few of the discounts we found. Keep in mind that you can also save by paying your yearly policy in one upfront sum.
- Package Discount. You can save up to 15% by combining your home and auto policies.
- Multiple Policy Discount. You can qualify for savings by adding coverage for your motorcycle, boat, or RV.
- Newer Home Discount. If your home is less than 10 years old, you can qualify for a discount.
How Does Safeco Insurance Compare to Competitors?
To visualize how Safeco stacks up with its competitors, we looked at J.D. Power Scores. These scores are formed based on reviews from customers like you to help others know exactly what to expect. The feedback from Safeco customers can help you get a better feel for what experience you can expect as a Safeco policyholder.
In a 2015 J.D. Power U.S. Household Insurance Study, Safeco scored the following:
Something worth noting is J.D. Power’s scoring legend. It states three stars as about average, with the lowest possible score being two stars. While it has great financial strength, Safeco has moderate reviews from users.
Where Is Safeco Popular?
This section will help you see how Safeco’s market share ranks in popularity against other insurance companies. The word to know is “market share.” This refers to the percentage of a company’s customers compared to its competitors in the area in which it sells. We based our analysis on Liberty Mutual home insurance’s market share as Safeco’s parent company.
Overall, Liberty Mutual/Safeco Insurance ranks in the in the top five insurers for home insurance in 30 states. Based on our research, its top five states with the highest percentage of policy holders are Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Washington, and Connecticut.
Based purely on volume, here are the top five states where Safeco sells the most home insurance policies:
- Texas: 649,588 policies
- New York: 425,606 policies
- California: 406,055 policies
- Massachusetts: 277,357 policies
- Pennsylvania: 272,441 policies
What Else Do Consumers Love about Safeco?
Here are two of the benefits that are really just the cherry on top of the Safeco home insurance dessert. Consider these benefits before purchasing a policy:
- Safeco Home Inventory App. Safeco’s app allows you to list all of your belongings in an online inventory. This way regardless of a fire or other incident, you have a complete inventory of all your household items that you can send to your insurance agent.
- 24/7 Claims Service. Your satisfaction is important to Safeco, which is why its representatives are available around the clock, every day of the week. This means you can get help whenever you need it.
Is Safeco The Right Insurance Company for You?
Safeco has been in the insurance business since 1923. As a Liberty Mutual Company, Safeco has a financial background that you can trust. Liberty Mutual Insurance ranks on the Fortune 100 list of the largest U.S. corporations. In addition to home insurance, Safeco offers auto insurance policies, renters insurance, and more.
Customers have more coverage options with Safeco than ever before. The best way to choose a plan is by getting a few insurance quotes. Then compare your coverage and prices to choose the best policy to meet your needs. To get started, you can contact an insurance agent or enter your zip code to get insurance quotes.
Want more information?
Compare with other home insurance companies to see if Safeco is the best fit for you.