on January 30, 2016
Going on blind dates is fun, but choosing an auto insurance company blindfolded is not. As the 8th largest provider in the country, it’s no surprise that there are aspects of Nationwide that can be complicated to understand. We’ve researched the ins-and-outs of its auto insurance coverage options—including average rates, exclusive features, and more—so that you have all of the facts at your fingertips before signing a policy. Because we are in no way affiliated with Nationwide, you can trust this review is based on facts alone.
What do you want to know more about?
- The Pros And Cons of Nationwide Auto Insurance
- If Nationwide Offers Coverage Near You
- Nationwide Auto Insurance Quotes
- How Nationwide Ranks In The Industry
- What Customers Think About Nationwide
- Our Favorite Nationwide Features
- Nationwide Discounts
- Our Recommendation For You
What are the benefits?
- Vanishing Deductible® rewards you with $100 off your deductible for every year you drive accident-free (up to $500). If you do get in an accident, your Vanishing Deductible will reset to $100—so you’re still saving money.
- Plenti Partnership is a rewards card you use at participating companies to get points and discounts. The points can then be used on merchandise or services with any partnering location. Nationwide is the only insurance provider with this partnership to date, allowing the policyholder to earn points based on the price of your premium.
What are the downsides?
- Poor Website Ratings. Its customer satisfaction score for the user experience on the website is below average when looking at other insurance provider scores.
- Coverage Availability. Nationwide auto insurance isn’t available in Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, or Massachusetts.
What’s its coverage availability?
Nationwide car insurance is available to drivers in 47 states, including Washington D.C., It isn’t available in Alaska, Hawaii, or Louisiana. See how Nationwide compares to other insurance providers, as well as the cheapest companies in your state:
Nationwide’s Most Popular States
Insurance companies compete for customers in each state. The percentage of customers those insurance companies have in each state is called “market share.” Based on that number, Nationwide ranked as a top 10 auto insurance providers in 31 states and Washington D.C.. It served the highest percentage of drivers and sold the most policies in North Carolina, writing 812,804 policies for 16.59% of the licensed population. See how it ranks in your state:
|State Rank||New Policies Written||Market Share|
What are the average Nationwide auto insurance quotes?
We analyzed average rates from companies in all 50 states to give you an indication of how much you may pay compared to other insurance companies based on your driver profile. Our research shows that Nationwide is the 2nd cheapest auto insurance company for 18-year old female drivers, but is one of the pricier auto insurance options for all other profiles. See how Nationwide measures up compared to four similar companies.
|18 SINGLE Female||18 SINGLE MALE||25 SINGLE Female||25 SINGLE Male||40 MARRIED Female||40 MARRIED Male|
How Much Drivers Like You Pay
We reviewed rates gathered in 33 states for Nationwide to give you a glimpse into how much you may pay based on your driver profile. While multiple factors go into giving you an accurate quote, the rates below have isolated these factors. For example, the prices shown for drivers in their 30’s is based on drivers who are aged 20-30—not what their sex or marital status is. Here is what we found:
|Drivers in Their 20's||$1,981.92|
|Drivers in Their 30's||$1,485.67|
|Drivers Over 50||$968.37|
Because rates vary by state, we recommend reviewing how Nationwide auto policies add up where you live.
* These are real numbers from 2014, but are subject to change in the coming months or years. They are only here to show you how insurance providers stack up against each other.
What Nationwide discounts are available?
Want to save even more on an auto insurance policy with Nationwide? See if you qualify for any of its current discounts*:
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Nationwide Family Plan® Discount: up to 25% off
- Good Student Discount
- Farm Bureau Discount
- Defensive Driving Discount: up to 5% off
- Accident-Free Discount: up to 10% off
- Anti-Theft Device Discount
- Easy Pay And Paperless Billing Discount
- Affiliate Discount
- Vanishing Deductible Discount: $100 off your deductible every year you drive accident-free—up to $500
Make sure to ask about these discounts when you get a quote from Nationwide insurance.
What are the industry rankings?
Industry rankings are an easy way to analyze how a company is doing based on customer satisfaction and financial standing. JD Power surveys customers based on a number of categories. The studies are reliable and can help to provide insight into the current satisfaction among an insurance company’s customers. In 2015, here is how Nationwide Insurance ranked:
Hear it from customers
“The pricing on two vehicles is absolutely fantastic. The customer service team always does everything they can to fix any issues too.” –Stephen
“It’s simple to understand Nationwide’s policies and the different coverage plans they have.” –Daniel
What bonus features are available?
We’re not done yet. Our research found even more standout features provided by Nationwide car insurance, including:
- On your Side® Claims service guarantees work done by preferred shops for the entire time you own the car.
- Nationwide® AutoWatch® lets you get repair updates and to see your car repair online when done in the network. It makes it easier for you to coordinate your schedule and keep tabs on the work.
- Tech-Friendly. Nationwide’s mobile app provides digital copies of your insurance cards, important phone numbers, and easy access to your policy—at home or on the road.
- Roadside Assistance coverage comes with a $100 credit to use the first time you lock yourself out of your car. If you’re stuck, this will come in handy.
While the decision is ultimately up to you, we want to give you the facts to help guide you in making the big choice. Here’s what the facts tell us about Nationwide auto insurance:
Nationwide car insurance is best for most drivers.
You can insure yourself and your teen driver without worry because of the Vanishing Deductible and optional coverages such as accident forgiveness coverage. If you do get into a pickle, you can prevent your rates from rocketing and save yourself money thanks to your shrunken deductible.
Nationwide® Insurance first started providing Ohio farmers with auto insurance in 1926. Today, Nationwide is a policyholder-owned company on the Fortune 100 list. From auto, home, pet, farm, life insurance and more, Nationwide supports its customers with the motto: “Nationwide is on your side.”
Compare more companies
Visit our list of the best auto insurance providers to get all the information you need about other companies.