on February 5, 2016
When looking for a homeowners insurance policy, it’s important to know what you’re getting yourself into. Do they offer enough coverage? How does the claims process go? That’s why we’ve looked into The Hartford home insurance, and a handful of other popular providers. Not because we work for The Hartford–in fact we are in no way affiliated with The Hartford. We do it so you’ll know them inside-and-out before you buy an insurance policy.
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons of The Hartford Home Insurance
- If The Hartford Offers Coverage Near You
- The Hartford Discounts
- How The Hartford Ranks In The Industry
- Where The Hartford is Most Popular
- What Customers Think About The Hartford
- Our Favorite The Hartford Features
What Will You Like about The Hartford?
- Extended Replacement Cost Coverage. You can opt into this plan so that your home will be insured for 100% of its replacement value. If you suffer a total loss, The Hartford will pay up to 150% of what it costs to rebuild it. For many homeowners, this covers the sometimes unpredictable delays and increase in material and other costs associated with construction.
- Full Replacement Coverage. If you choose this option, you can get 100% back for the cost of the items that are damaged and destroyed in your home. Other companies often offer depreciated values which could leave you paying out of pocket if you suffer a loss. These coverage options truly make you whole after a claim.
- Partially Waived Deductible. If you suffer a loss to your home of $25,000 or more, up to $5,000 of your deductible will be waived. This helps cut down on stress of an already terrible situation. It could also speed up your processing time.
- Bundle Your Policies. The Hartford offers business, home, and auto insurance policies. If you’re looking to insure different parts of your life, bundling can save you on all the policies you buy.
- Diverse Insurance Products: From auto insurance to home and renters insurance, The Hartford has diverse offering. Most importantly, you can find an insurance premium that makes sense for your needs.
What Do Some People Not Like about The Hartford?
- Limited Coverage. simple but common problem. The Hartford doesn’t provide homeowners insurance in all states. If you’re getting an online quote, our calculator can guide you towards carriers that do if you’re in one of the states Hartford Insurance doesn’t service. No matter where you live, online quote calculators can help you find an insurance option that meets your needs.
Where The Hartford Insures
The Hartford insures in 47 U.S. states plus Washington D.C., but not in Alaska, Hawaii, or Massachusetts. It also provide insurance for those 50 and older through their partnership with AARP.
Because coverage varies by state, it’s important to learn about home insurance where you live. Click on your state to get in “the know.”
What Kind of Discounts Does The Hartford Offer?
Want to save on your homeowners coverage from The Hartford? Here are some discounts you might be able to qualify for.
- Multi-Policy Discount (up to 20% off homeowners insurance and 5% on auto coverage when you bundle) Explore different insurance products on their website.
- Home Security Discount
- Policy Renewal Credit
- Retiree Credit
See its full list of home insurance discounts.
How Does The Hartford Stack Up in The Reviews?
Another great way to judge an insurance company is by looking at industry reviews. Looking at customer satisfaction scoring from JD Power, you’ll be able to see how customers feel about their service. More importantly, other customers can tell you exactly what they love or hate about the Hartford Fire Insurance Company. Some reviews will talk about insurance coverages while others might mention an insurance claim they filed. Insurance quotes give you your price, but there’s so much more that can happen with insurance.
JD Power surveys customers on a number of categories to determine a company’s customer satisfaction score. In a 2015 JD Power U.S. Household Insurance Study for Homeowners Insurance, The Hartford scored:
Where Is The Hartford Fire Insurance Company Most Popular?
Market share shows the percentage of customers a company has compared to competitors. The Hartford, including its partnership with AARP, ranks in the top 10 for market share in 14 states and Washington D.C., but it has the highest market share in the following states:
- Vermont: 4.37%
- Connecticut: 4.27
- Montana: 4.15%
- New Mexico: 5.09% of homeowners
- West Virginia: 3.65%
States Where The Hartford Sells the Most Policies
While The Hartford and The Hartford/AARP ranks in the top 10 for highest selling home insurance companies in 14 states and Washington D.C., it sells the most policies in:
- Nevada: 294,859 policies
- Florida: 233,844 policies
- New York: 205,157 policies
- Washington: 131,295 policies
- Connecticut: 110,926 policies
Check out the full analysis on The Hartford’s top states:
|Rank in State||Market Share Percent||Direct Premiums Written|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
What Do Customers Think?
“I like The Hartford’s pricing.” – Glen W.
“They’re easy to work with and don’t hustle you.” Cesare H.
What Are Our Favorite Features?
The Hartford has a number of benefits that you might like to know about before signing a policy. Here they are:
- Modern Technology. The Hartford has an app that you can download so you’ll be able to access policy documents, pay premiums, track claims processing, and more from your smart device. You can even adjust your liability insurance, personal property coverage, and more if you’d like from the app.
- An AARP partnership allows those 50 and older to get highly customized homeowners insurance policies.
- Catastrophe Center. This resource center has a ton of information that’s beneficial for homeowners—from how to prevent flooding to staying safe in a tornado zone and more.
- Locksmith Reimbursement. You can be reimbursed for money spent on changing locks in your home. This could save you hundreds.
Is The Hartford Fire Insurance Company The Right Insurance Carrier for You?
The Hartford has been around for 200 years and focuses on providing customers with dependable and friendly service. The Hartford sets itself apart by its dedication to building relationships with customers. Insurance agents can help you find the right policy, set appropriate limits, and much more.
Hartford Insurance continues to build strong relationships with insurance customers across the country whether shopping for an auto policy, home policy, or something else. To get quotes that make sense for your insurance needs, enter your zip code and answer a few questions.
Want To Read About Other Companies?
Take a look at other companies until you find the best homeowners insurance provider for you.