We’ve done our due diligence to make understanding insurance as easy as possible for Massachusetts drivers. Use this tell-all guide to car insurance requirements, premiums, discounts, and more to help alleviate any confusion. It’ll be a pretty revolutionary experience.
Auto Insurance Requirements in Massachusetts
“The penalties are coming! The penalties are coming!” That’s what will ride through the streets of your mind in a frantic gallop if you get pulled over or are in an accident and don’t have minimum liability coverages. Save yourself the panic by adding at least this much coverage to your policy:
Bodily Injury Requirements
- $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident for bodily injury to others
- $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident for bodily injury caused by uninsured vehicles
- $8,000 per person, per accident for personal injury protection (PIP)
Property Damage Requirements
- $5,000 per accident for damage to somebody else’s property
What Massachusetts Drivers Pay For Auto Coverage
Do you ever wonder what your neighbors pay for auto insurance? According to our research, the following insurance companies provide the cheapest insurance rates for drivers in your state:
|Average Annual Rates|
Because rates are dependent on numerous factors, it’s important to look at average rates for drivers like you. See our full list of cheapest car insurance companies in Massachusetts now.
Ways To Save On Massachusetts Auto Coverage
In the state that made so many of the nation’s laws, it’s only right that they made some to benefit all drivers. Here are some of the laws in place to make sure everyone has car insurance and safe drivers don’t have to pay more than they should:
Massachusetts Auto Insurance Plan (MAIP)
- No insurance company is allowed to deny you auto coverage due to risky driving behaviors—such as a DUI on your record. Because of the MAIP, a tarnished driving record will not keep you from getting proper coverage.
Massachusetts Safe Drivers Insurance Plan (SDIP)
- SDIP requires unsafe drivers to pay higher premiums. On the flipside, this type of plan offers discounts to safe drivers. Some private insurers don’t have to comply with these plans, but they are available from multiple companies in Massachusetts.
Looking for an auto insurance policy specifically designed for you? Let an insurance expert help you find one. Call 855-462-2213 to talk to an agent now.
Proof of Insurance Requirements
You don’t have to have a physical card to prove you’re insured. That’s because if you’re a driver in Massachusetts, you’ll already be in a database when you register your car. They’ll be able to keep track of you and your insured status that way.
Insurance Violation Fines and Penalties
While you won’t need to show a cop a card, if they can’t find your proof of insurance in the online database, you could face the following fines and penalties:
- A $500 minimum fine and/or jail time
- The suspension of your drivers license
Did You Know?
Driving a car that is more highly targeted by thieves can increase your car insurance rates. Here are the cars that are stolen the most in Massachusetts and may cause you to pay higher premiums for if you own one*:
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Dodge Caravan
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota Corolla
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Nissan Altima
- Honda CR-V
- Nissan Maxima
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
*According to www.nicb.org
We aren’t telling you this to convince you to buy a new car. We just want to give you all of the facts so that you can make your own decision.
Agents Who Can Help
With years of experience navigating Massachusetts insurance policies, licensed agents have all of the answers and suggestions you need to find the best policy to meet your needs. Call 855-462-2213 to get your questions answered or for a free quote today.
Additional Massachusetts Resources