Increase Your Credit Score
One of the things your credit score can impact is your car insurance rate, so if you want to lower your insurance, take a look at your credit score. If you’ve got a low credit score, it can raise your premium. To increase your score, make sure you are paying your bills on time, paying off debt, and keeping credit card balances as low as possible.
Opt for a High Deductible
A simple way to reduce your payments is to choose a policy with a high deductible. Doing so will lower your premium and keep you insured. The only catch is that there are more out of pocket expenses if you’re in an accident. In this scenario, you’ll have to dish out more money before the insurance payments kick in. While this isn’t right for everyone, it can be effective for saving on insurance.
Look for Discounts
There are several types of discounts that you should be aware of when shopping for insurance. Here are some of the main discounts highlighted by dmv.org, a privately owned website.
- Vehicle safety discounts ? You can save when your car has safety equipment such as automatic seat belts, a blind-spot detection system, an emergency response system, an anti-theft system, anti-lock brakes, etc.
- Senior driver discounts – If you are age 55 or older, you can usually qualify as a mature driver and be eligible for a discount. Many companies also offer discounts to seniors who participate in defensive driving courses.
- Good driver discounts ? In some cases, insurance companies will offer discounts to individuals who are considered good drivers. This is based on your driving record and if it’s free of violations. If you’ve had a clean driving record for three consecutive years, then this can be used to your advantage.
- Car insurance renewal discounts ? Insurance companies love loyal customers and are often willing to give long-time customers discounts.
- Occupation discounts, ? For certain “low risk” professions, it’s possible to find inexpensive insurance because people in these fields have a reputation for avoiding risky driving behavior. This category typically includes teachers, police officers, pilots, nurses and scientists.
Knowing how to compare policies and take advantage of discounts should help you find inexpensive insurance and a policy that meets your needs.
Compare Multiple Providers
The large volume of competition among insurance companies means consumers can find good deals and save on insurance. To capitalize on this phenomenon, it’s important to look at a few policies from different providers rather than just settling on the first thing you come across. At Obrella, we love helping consumers find affordable insurance and make it simple to compare car insurance options.
You can also do this on your own by performing online research and checking out at least three providers. Take note of the different premiums and what’s included in each policy. You should then compare each insurance company side by side to determine what’s best for you.
Combine Insurance Policies
Another option is to consolidate different types of insurance coverage to one provider. If you’re satisfied with your home insurance company, you can get car insurance coverage from them as well. Bundling not only reduces your premium, but also makes it easier to keep track of payments and can simplify your life.
Almost everyone wants to know how to get cheap insurance while still getting great coverage. Being informed and knowing what criteria insurance companies base their premiums on should help you save on insurance. If you feel like your insurance policy is too expensive, give us a call today. We can help you compare a variety of policies to find one that not only meets your needs but also does not break your budget.