Does Home Insurance Cover Theft?

Homeowners insurance is in place to give you peace of mind in case your home or belongings suffer damage or loss due to a catastrophic event, but do you know if loss due to theft is part of your policy? Most home insurance policies have a standard provision for theft, but you need to read the fine print to make sure what is provided for matches your needs.

Take the time to read through your policy in detail to ensure you understand which of your belongings are covered and how much coverage is provided. Most typical household items are included in a standard homeowners policy, but more expensive items like jewelry, art, or furs may not be covered at all.

Even if your policy includes high-end valuables, make sure the coverage limits are high enough to replace your items at their current value. You should also keep in mind that any lost items will be covered up to the allowed limit, and after the deductible has been satisfied.

To ensure your valuables are sufficiently protected, you may want to consider a rider, which provides extra coverage beyond the usual provisions of a standard policy. This will allow you to increase the coverage limits for specified items. Having highly valuable items appraised is also a smart step that will make sure you’re getting the appropriate amount of coverage.

Does It Only Cover Theft From My House?

A bonus that is likely already included in your policy is off-premises coverage for theft. That means if your possessions are stolen from your car or a place like a hotel room, chances are good the loss will be covered by your homeowners insurance. Most policies even cover lost luggage. Again, the limits, exclusions, and deductible will all apply, so make sure you understand the details of your policy.

Homeowners insurance is in place to give you peace of mind in case your home or belongings suffer damage or loss due to a catastrophic event…

Off-premises coverage can even extend to college-age children who are living in the dorms. If something is stolen from your child’s dorm room, the replacement could be covered by your home insurance policy. And if your student is living at home, losses suffered while studying at the library should fall under your coverage as well.

Nobody wants to deal with the devastating fall-out of a break-in. There is enough to worry about without having to fight about the cost of replacing your possessions. If you’re not sure that your policy is providing the coverage you need, or if you’ve already had an unsatisfactory experience after a break-in, talk to an insurance expert. Licensed agents are available┬áto help you find a policy that will take care of you and your belongings without adding extra stress at a time when that’s the last thing you need.

This site is a U.S. Consumer site. You can learn more about our site and privacy policy here.