How Much Coverage Do I Need?
That all depends on where you live. Most states require that your motorcycle insurance is equal to your state’s car insurance minimums. For example, if you are driving a motorcycle in California, your policy would need to include the following:
- $15K in liability coverage per person
- $30K in liability coverage per accident
- $5K in property damage
To see how much motorcycle insurance you should include in your policy, see how much is required in your state for car insurance.
Auto Insurance Requirements
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
To protect yourself from any financial hardships that may arise if you crash your motorcycle, these are popular coverages to consider. Depending on your states requirements, you may already have bodily and property liability coverage.
- Bodily and property damage liability–helps cover medical expenses, lost wages, and costs associated to buildings, other motorcycles, and more.
- Comprehensive and collision coverage–protects you from the financial stress of having to repair or replace your motorcycle if its damaged or stolen.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist–covers you if you are in an incident with another rider who doesn’t have insurance, or doesn’t have enough insurance.
Before making any final decisions on your insurance company, it is important to learn as much as you can about your local insurance providers, and the coverages they offer. Call your local insurance agent to clear up any questions that you might have. Questions to consider asking include, “What is the best coverage plan for me/my family/my situation?” “What are the minimum coverage requirements in my state and what form of coverage do you recommend?” “Do you guys offer any bundle discounts if I take out both my auto insurance and home insurance with you?” and “What is the average rate of insurance quotes you guys offer?”
Before making any big insurance decisions, use our free tool to compare insurance quotes near you. It’s simple, just plug in your zip code and we’ll do the rest!